How to Write Philosophy Papers
It is scary to imagine giving out a task that is not only substandard but also embarrassing. Good writers will attest to the fact that a piece of philosophy must adhere to certain standards of writing besides giving the audience a challenge that will leave them asking how to write a good philosophy paper. Basically, writing requires some sort of discipline whereby the writer must apply principles that loop their work all through.
Know the Readers
The diversity of the readers requires a writer to carefully trade without presumptions that place the readers as knowledgeable about the subject. The last thing that is expected of a writer is to appreciate that readers are smart enough even though they are not so much conversant with philosophy. This means that it should be to them as easy to understand as child food. Take a scenario whereby the readers are interested in philosophy, but they have not read materials. The precision and brevity with which the presentation will be made will effectively make them understand the work besides putting in their observations which might be of value to the article. How to write a philosophy paper hinges on good communication skills that must be contained within the essay.
What are the Surrounding Factors Affecting the Paper?
The question appreciates the fact that the philosophy article must be based on some natural factors. So, to understand philosophy paper, a philosopher needs to base the contestations on a plane of clarity, precision, and brevity without repetitions and mediocre mistakes. The best way to evade mistakes is to:
- Desist from using sentences that are too general such as ‘man has never failed in the attempt to discover who he is’
- It is advisable not to assume that works that have taken a lot of time to accomplish can be summarized with a few hours and in a few words. How to write a good philosophy paper, therefore, requires intense research and patience. Everything within the books read come in handy when writing. The writer in this case superficially browses through the contents without due regard to the input of its writer. Writing philosophy research paper means doing a thorough investigation if the writer wants his or her effort rewarded.
- It is not advisable to distort the term philosophy by giving it sophisticated terminology. Most people stray from the context by trying too hard to apply technical terms which are not so necessary therefore diluting the information that they are supposed to give.
Fundamentals of writing a Philosophy Paper
First Step: Getting Oriented to the Problem
Basically, this step requires one to properly understand the philosopher’s work and appreciating how to write a philosophy paper before they can finally put pen to paper. The thoughts of the studied philosopher should not be distorted but instead, be grasped spot on and even go as far as comparing the findings or the information grasped with people who may have read the same book or document. Contradicting the philosophical content and views because of ignorance is not only unacceptable but also means a student will earn zero marks. But how does one do this? Well, two scenarios perfectly help in achieving it:
- Clarity on in terms of understanding the platform presented by the beginning paragraph of the book or article being read and where it is leading to.
- Appreciating where the philosopher is coming from in terms of how his thesis balances the contents in addition to getting their point of persuasion.
Step Two: Structuring the Arguments
This is a requirement that should be observed. Answering the question of how to write a philosophy paper requires a logical arrangement of the ideas as well as substantiating their importance. The statement should not be ambiguous and predictable at the same time, but instead, it should be succinctly presented to the readers.
Third Step: Lending a Thought to Counterexamples
Philosophically speaking, counter-arguments and examples give ones work a stronger basis to jump-start their writing career. However, examples of countering instances that have been presented by the philosopher being studied are considered the most powerful weapons to apply. Plain criticisms without provision of relevant examples kill the work of philosophy; it is just how not to write a good philosophy paper. Although one might opt as he writes to use example countering the arguments presented, writing a good philosophy paper should not overlook the opportunity of leveling the field via examples. To provide a good defense to the contestations one is presenting, he or she must factor in defense in terms of counterexamples to the thesis. Any position is taken warrant good protective mechanisms inform of presentation of appropriate instances.
Fourth Step: Analysis of Oneself Critically
Writing a philosophy research paper demands self-evaluation and analysis aimed at predicting possible evaluation by the readers. In order to effectively and conveniently understand how to write a philosophy paper, it is very important that the writer calls a meeting with him/herself to agree on a number of key issues including putting themselves in the shoes of the reader, identifying good defense examples and deciding on the best philosopher to study. A meeting with oneself will additionally present the writer with an opportunity to decide if he or she is ready to undertake the task. The philosophy paper should not just be good, but it is expected to be great.
Step Five: Adhering to Precedence Set in Arrangement of other Philosophy Papers
How to write a philosophy paper should not take away the precedence set before. The writer should try to structure their work in a similar way that other philosophy articles have. You will realize that basically, many papers have an introduction, main body, and the conclusion. The first part which is the introduction should abide by certain rules such as being brief, containing claim statements or the thesis, sticking to the theme and providing the readers with intriguing examples that will make them to read it again and again or to eagerly wait for the next article from the same writer based on the readers first experience. In short, the paper should warrant loyalty to the core.
The main body should be the meat that every reader wants to have a taste of. It should carry through the major arguments as well as the thesis explaining in deeper context the argument in a way that leaves no doubt in the mind of the reader that the writers know how to write a philosophy paper that is not only good but memorable. Having written the problem statement, it is time to explain the problem and the solutions to it that were derived from sources that are credible and relevant. The prowess and skills attained should be able to tell the readers how to write a philosophy research paper. It is time and space to exercise the expertise acquired.
The body also includes feedback to the analysis one has done. Remember that, at this particular time, several questions are being answered including corroborating certain positions and criticizing others of course with the mind of objectivity. How to write a philosophy paper that meets the rules must not shy away from giving examples to give the audience a wider opportunity to understand the writer more. The body should contain several paragraphs that are flawless and communicating ideas consistently. Every paragraph should contain a separate idea but addressing the same topic. A writer can decide to adopt a system whereby the major points are covered in the beginning sentences of the paragraphs and winding with less important but relevant points. This is called an inverted pyramid approach. The inverse is whereby the less important points come before the main topic or what is also known as the pyramid approach.
The concluding part should clearly state the progression of the philosophy research document without disconnecting with other parts. The readers must be able to learn in the process of reading how to write a philosophy paper. Importantly, the summary section presents the philosophy writer with an opportunity to restate the key areas and the claim. It as well highlights the objectives that philosophy research paper intended to achieve and whether or not they have been achieved.
Step Six: Checking Through
- Go back to the outline and establish if all areas are covered and the summary is in line with the goal of the document
- Check on the document formatting and confirm again if it is in line with the writing style that is required of you.
- Cite the sources and provide the references that were used during the course of researching on how to write a philosophy research paper.
- Check on the keywords that must appear as per the instructions are given by the professor so that you don’t miss the marks awarded
- Stay away from sources whose credibility are questionable and not adding any substance to the research work.
- Check on the grammar and punctuations to ensure that your document meets the specifications and language standards.
In conclusion, how to write a philosophy paper requires sufficient planning, research, consultations and ample resources including the writer’s time. A well-written product will not only thrill the readers but will encourage one to actively engage in writing due to confidence gained.